Strawberry Rhubarb Pie + Recipe



The farm share recently started and I landed my hands on some fresh strawberries and rhubarb. What's a girl to do but make strawberry rhubarb pie? I shared my pie-making prospect on Instagram and got some equally excited feedback, so I thought I'd share the recipe I used––which was amazing. The perfect tart to sweet ratio!

I used my go-to pie crust recipe and it's amazing. I sometimes have to double it if I want a really thick and full crust.

The filling:

2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
2 1/2 cups strawberries, cut in larger pieces
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 egg white, beaten
Large granule sugar

Directions:
 Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, flour, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
Poor into bottom crust.
Drop the butter cuts around on top of the filling.
Place top crust over filling and cut slits or use a fork to poke holes.
Crimp to seal edges.
Brush the pie crust with egg white wash.
Garnish with large granule sugar and rhubarb slices.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until the filling starts bubbling.
You can collar the crust's edges with foil if it starts to darken too quickly.
And... enjoy!

3 comments :

  1. looks amazing. i never tried strawberry rhubarb (or rhubarb, period, for that matter) until two years ago when my in-laws came to visit us and our then new baby bearing an arm full of fresh rhubarb. while i spent hours nursing, my husband wisely spent that time baking me a pie, which i proceeded to devour over three nights of midnight nursing sessions. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. maybe ill make a pie today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last time I made rhubarb pie. I loved the tartness of the rhubarb and lemon. The sweetness from the strawberries complemented the rhubarb just right. Thank you for inspiring me to make one of my favorite desserts once more.

    ReplyDelete